#It allows you to change your service provider(Eg from Idea to BSNL) without changing you phone number.
Example: If your num is 9490******* you can retain the same number, even after changing your service provider. Isn't this cool?
So, how to change your service provider?
- User will have to obtain a unique porting number by sending a SMS. SMS to 1900 saying PORT your current mobile number. You will then receive an eight-character code or your Unique Porting ID (UPID) that also comes with an expiry date
- The code along with filled forms and valid identity proof documents need to be submitted to the new operator.
- Rs 19 is the switching fee.
- A user can switch after 90 days of a new connection being activated.
- Postpaid users need to clear all dues before applying to switch.
- Prepaid users lose any remaining talk time after switching.
- MNP request can be cancelled within 24 hours and a new request should be processed within 7 days
Image courtesy : Neytri